I started playing guitar in 1964. My first band was called "The Jerks" and we played in and around my hometown of Pulaski, VA. After that situation ended I became lead singer and guitarist for "The Chancellors".
We played all over Southwest Virginia doing every kind of gig imaginable including: college dates,radio shows, private parties , beauty pageants and lot's of High School functions.
In the late sixties the original"Jerks" reformed and started doing original material as well as everything from Jimi Hendrix to James Brown.
During this time several people asked me if I would teach them to play and so I started doing some private lessons and realized I really enjoyed sharing what I had learned.
From this point on I am just going to list some of the highlights of my career so far so as to avoid getting to wordy (ha).
1. Moved to Nashville in 1973. Met STAN HEMPHILL (LITTLE RICHARD). We formed the"Afro Space Boogie Band" and performed at the "Exit In". Also performed with Stan at "Deborahs" sitting in with "MEMPHIS SLIM".
2. In 1975 met ALLEN WOODY (ALLMAN BROTHERS and GOV'T MULE). Along with TONY CROW (LAMBCHOP ,SILVER JEWS)) we formed the Instrumental Jazz Fusion Band " MONTAGE ".
We later added drummer JOHN MOSS (BAREFOOT JERRY). Tony and I were the principle composers for this incredibly talented and interesting band. We performed all over and opened up for "THE DIXIE DREGS" in Chattanooga.
3. Also in 1975 studied theory with JOHN PELL, graduate of Berklee School of Music and currently head of the guitar dept. at Belmont University. I am indebted to John for setting me on the right theoretical path and introducing me to the Bill Leavitt material.
4. In the late 70's spent several years travelling the U.S. with various groups including 50's and 60's hitmakers THE VOGUES, vocalist extraodinaire MICHAEL PARIS and pop group SKYLINE..
5. In the early 80's performed with various artist's including:
slide guitar legend MAC GAYDEN.
SPICE DAVIS of the hit group SHALIMAR.
Experimental rock group THE NEON BUSHMAN
Austin legend the fabulous TONI PRICE.
The incredible "LITTLE RITCHIE" Jarvis.
DIANA-(The Captains Table in PRINTERS ALLEY)
and country star RONNIE DOVE.
Also during this time was a session musician with numerous artists doing lot's of different styles including jazz, funk, rock, alternative, blues and country.
6. In 1984 played lead guitar for Ex-KISS rocker
PETER CRISS'S band "THE ALLIANCE". Toured as a headliner and also shared the bill with bands including RATT, EDDIE MONEY,The ATLANTA RYTHM SECTION, GREG ALLMAN BAND and ALCATRAZ (featuring Yngwie Malmsteen).
7. In 1986 composed the material, sang lead and played guitar for the pop-rock group "MIND OVER MATTER". This band featured top notch musicians including bassist BRIAN PUGH, drummer DAVID CHANDLER and Keybordist JIM KIRBY (ROY ORBISON). We released one album, "Crazy"(1990) with the release party at The Cannery and opened up for "THE ARTIMUS PYLE BAND".
8. In the early 90's played guitar with ALLEN WOODY at his only bass guitar clinic in this area. He was with the Allman Brothers at the time and had just released his instructional video.
9. In mid and late 90's focused on writing and teaching. Recorded the album" Let The River Run". Also started performing with the R and B and Funk band "The Baby Boomers". Have played just about everywhere. Stll performing with that band as well as the BB Jazz Quartet.
In 2005 performed "Dust In The Wind" with JOHN ELEFANTE.(KANSAS).
10. My newest CD "Help A Poor Man Live" is now available at
This is my long promised Blues/R&B cd . Hope you enjoy it!
Now Available! My newest CD
"Space Between Whispers".
This is my first all instrumental CD. You can check it out at :